A Mint Julep and a Big Straw Hat : Watching The World Go By

Straw hatImage via Wikipedia

As I set out my wicker patio furniture, I am overtaken by waves of laziness and nostalgia. It's a beautiful day so I finally give in and mix up a mint julep and sit on my cushioned, outdoor couch to watch the neighbors drive by.

I have always loved the comfort and the "Gatsby" feel of wicker furniture. It reminds me of the weeping branches of a willow tree in a warm summer breeze. Horse races and cotton candy. Lazy summer days, wearing big straw hats and cotton sundresses. Family and friends  and good times together. You could waste your life away on a wicker couch drinking juleps or margaritas, but then - would that be so bad? With shade from a big straw hat - where could you go wrong?

Daydream Believer

My teachers always told me that I was a day-dreamer. That, I am. I can sit for hours, just watching and listening to the world around me. But it is not idle work. I am thinking of inventions, and science, new ideas to write about, and growing things, problems that need solutions, painting clouds, and how to draw what I am feeling. Then when the evening comes and it is time to go inside - it all gets put on paper. The work gets completed. So a trip on the couch with an occasional daydream, is time well spent.

A lot of the articles that I write are about projects. How to do things, or make things. This one is just about sitting still. It's something we all should learn to do more of. Sitting and contemplating is akin to meditation. It allows you to release those things that you store up. Things that shouldn't be stored. It allows you time and space to see the bigger picture and give more attention to the details of your life, the release of karma for good purposes.

Everyone Should Own A Big Straw Hat

Today is one of those days. It's the first true warm day of the spring and I don't want to miss a single fluctuation of temperature, or miss a millimeter of growth, from the plants that I set out on the deck. I have found that just sitting still and watching the world go by, can paint your world with brighter and happier colors. Especially, if you sit on a wicker couch under the brim of a big straw hat.

I look out at the world under the weave of grass upon my head. My garden needs tending, the gazebo needs cleaning, the flower gardens need weeding (already) and paperwork in the house needs to be done. I know however, that none of that busy work will happen today, cause I found my big straw hat, and the wicker couch called my name.


Seaside lounge 2007Image by Gord McKenna via Flickr
Peace
Marlene Hobart
Dragn Rock Farm
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Mothers' Day Weekend shopping list:

    1. Hanging plant, hummingbird friendly
    2. Fresh roast whole-bean coffee
    3. Big straw hat!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all.